To prepare for a window replacement, you have to do a few things before the work begins. Some of these can be done in the hour leading up to the job, while others require more time to prepare. Here’s a complete list of steps to take:
- Before moving furniture and items, you may want to take a photo so you can remember where everything is placed.
- Clear all furniture and obstacles from around the window and/or door areas by at least 2-3 feet or take everything out of the area if you prefer. If large items are near the window, protect them with drop cloths. Remember to use furniture pads or blankets when moving items to prevent scratches and dents.
- Cut back any branches or shrubs that interfere with accessing a window or door.
- Remove window coverings such as curtains, blinds and shutters to prevent damage during installation. Remove curtain rods from windows if possible. If not, make sure to cover them to protect from dust and debris.
- Remove picture frames or wall art on the same wall as the windows and doors to prevent potential damage from vibrations.
- Cover or remove decorative items, breakables, and plants. If it’s not possible to move them out of the way completely, put them in drawers or closets so they’re out of sight.
- Remove any electrical cords that run through the area being worked on. Make sure there is a clear path for traffic in and out of your home during installation.
- Disarm and disconnect any alarms that are connected to your windows or doors.
- Clean the areas surrounding the window so that dust and pollen won’t mix with caulk and sealants.
- Protect your floors. To prepare for all that dust, cover your floor with drop cloths.
- Close off rooms where work will be taking place so that dust doesn’t get into other parts of your home.
- Keep children and pets out of the way for their safety.
Upon completion, our installation team will conduct a homeowner walk-through review. This is our way of ensuring we have delivered a 10/10 experience for you! We offer window replacement services in the Greater Vancouver Area, the Fraser Valley, Victoria, Nanaimo, and Campbell River. Give us a call today and schedule your free consultation with our team of experts.
Download our handy Install Day Prep Infographic to have on hand!